Saturday, December 13, 2008

Week 12: Vacation

Boo and Mommy taking the boys on a walk..... Mrs. Van was my second mother growing up; here she is helping out with Taylor. Her daughter, Ashley, is my best friend from kindergarten. Mr. and Mrs. Van helped raise me.

Gan and Taylor reading a magazine in the "man cave" (aka: dad's new office). This room became the hang out room when i was home.


Mommy feeding Taylor in the gas station lot in Orangeburg, SC.



Boo entertaining Turner in the gas station parking lot.

Well, let me clarify. In honor of the boy's 12 week birthday, I took them to Charlotte for the week to stay with Gan and Boo. Thus, it was a vacation for daddy, but not poor Boo and Gan. Ok, if truth must be known, I selfishly wanted to see some family and friends, John V and my sister, Caroline. Ok, more truth..I knew that 6 hands would be better than my 2 while Ben worked for the week! We were sad to leave daddy but knew he would enjoy the week...junk food for dinner, no waking up at night, afternoon walks with the dogs that were unrestricted on time and lots of pooch snuggling! (The camera battery died somewhere along the trip and the charger is lost, so no pictures for now.)

Monday we left for Charlotte. Boo rode with the boys and I. I feel certain that Gan listened to country music the whole way, as it is usually forbidden if Boo is in the car. The trip was uneventful minus a quick stop at a gas station in Orangeburg to feed Taylor. It never fails, you think you have timed it right and suddenly, you are off schedule! As I fed Taylor, Boo played in the front seat with Turner. Monday night, some friends came over to see the boys. An old college friend, Jo El, had never met them and got the whole baby experence...sorry, Vernon, hopefully we didn't scare her with their fussiness! My friend, Shellie, has met them but came to see how much they have grown!

Tuesday was another typical day...it took us 4 hours to leave the house for a quick walk. We thought we could take the boys in the baby bijon's; why mess with the mini bus unless you have to. Big mistake! I totally forgot about the rolling hills in Myers Park! We shopped at Trader Joes and called it a day. Tuesday night, my second mom, Betty, brought dinner and helped me babysit for the boys when Boo and Gan went out to a party. I do love Betty's cooking...no low fat versions and good home cooked meals! We took the boys and had dinner at Caroline's house. The boys learned a few things from their cousin.... Max and Ruby are brother & sister, Noogin is a lifesaver when you're trying to eat a peacful dinner and the jump castle is the best hiding place!


Wednesday is a blur--isn't hump day always? My best friend from Charlotte as a child was a girl named Ashley Van Landingham. We did everything together from kindergarten until 12th grade and her parents were my second parents. It seemed appropriate since Ashley lives in Kansas now that I introduce my boys to her mom, Mrs. Van. Mrs. Van and my mom's best friend, Ms. B, came over to visit.... what fun girltime we had! I also vaguely recall eating take out chinese food with Nanny Yoshino at Caroline's, but that's it.


Thursday was spent with Nanny Yoshino. Nanny Y. is my mom's mom and she lives at Aldersgate Retirement Village in Charlotte. She is in amazing shape to say the least... looks great and in wonderful health! I don't even know her real age, but know she doesn't look or act over 65! Boo and i took the boys to have lunch with nanny and ended up spending the whole day. We ran into so many of Nanny's friends from her apartment to the dining hall that we almost missed lunch! Talk about a popular and well loved lady! Poor nanny was put to work feeding Taylor twice, then helping assist gathering items for the numerous diaper changes. She offered us yummy home made healthy cookies--the boys will quickly learn that Nanny's place is a good place for finding snacks!


Friday was departure day! It was the end of the work week and naturally daddy had missed us a ton, so back home we went! We figure since we were passing through, we wanted to take full advantage and stop by to see Nanny Dove. take out chinese food again...Winnsboro doesn't have too many lunch spots, so to the China Buffet take Out we went. Boo stayed behind with the boys and the two nanny's. Per Boo's report, they cried the entire time that dad and i were gone. Go figure! Nanny Dove helped feed Taylor, while Nanny Y. fed Turner or vice versa...who can keep track! After lunch, the boys and I hit the road back to Charleston solo and did great. We had to stop two times between Winnsboro and Columbia because Taylor lost his pacifier, but I consider that a "great trip".

** Hopefully the charger will be found so we can start posting pictures again soon. Until then, TaTa!

2 comments:

Jessi said...

I heard that there was a small earthquake near you....are you ok?

Love you!
Jessi

Taylor and Turner Slade said...

Ben said he felt it at school, but I felt nothing but some large toots coming from someone's diapers. ; )