Sunday, January 3, 2010

Oranges Galore!!

It was snacktime. The boys were thirsty and their cups were empty. What shall we do?
When Ben moved to Charleston three years ago, he asked me if he could bring his fruit tree. Sure? Why not? City girl knew nothing about fruit trees but if that was his only big request, sure, why not? Ben planted it then. It has been watered by the rain, urinated on daily by Guinness and basically, been ignored otherwise. Sure, there have been oranges hanging there before. But city girl ignored them. Actually I gave them to the boys to play with and they were thrown around in the yard as a cheap source of entertainment while we did the poop scooping! i really did not think you could eat them, nor had I ever taken the time to find out. Our dog sitter, Sterling, took the liberty and pulling over 30 off the tree and leaving them on the counter. So, what did I do.....

Gorgeous, huh? Who knew? I am a gardener!!!!! (Mom, see them!!! She still doesn't believe we have an orange tree with real fruit. Another city girl. )


And that was just from a few! FRESH ORANGE JUICE!!! And it was the perfect treat because we have all nasty colds!!!

Initial taste tests were 50/50. Of course, Taylor loved it. I swear he would eat a car tire if I coated it in sugar. Turner, too, was suspicious that the oranges were really edible. He stared at me as I washed them, strained the juice out and poured the juice. My Type A kid totally! City boy! After I let him drink the juice without his sippy top, he now loves it!!!




1 comment:

Jim Buxton said...

Wow, I am so impressed! Looks yummy. Hope you are all feeling 100% soon!

PS This is Courtney signed in as Jim :)