Sunday, January 10, 2010

We will miss you Ms. Judy!

Beware: This is a sad BLOG report. Cute photo of the boys in their pre-toddler classroom where they have grown so much. I strongly believe it is because of their fabulous teachers, Ms. Judy, Ms. Sonya and Ms. Suzette. The boys have started doing so many new things and many things are not things that Ben and I have taught them, thus I know they were taught by these amazing ladies! For example, Taylor signs "mine"...thanks to them!
Ms. Judy, at 43, suffered a stroke three weeks ago. I had just seen her the night before at school, how could she have had a stroke, I thought? I see patients with strokes every day and knew that the stroke occurred in a bad area, was large in nature and the prognosis was poor. When she was in ICU, I visited her often and prayed for a healthy recovery nightly. I told her about the boys and thanked her for her care. I have been pretty distraught over the past few weeks worried about her 4 children (the youngest is 9) and worried for my own, as this could have happened to me! Ms. Judy was in a coma for three weeks before her family decided to take her off life support, hence she passed away last week.

What a terrible loss. Her smile lit up the room. She was not openly outgoing, but you quickly found that her serious front was not serious at all. I will fondly remember the days that I watched her hug and kiss on my boys and held them tight as I left for work. I will remember the sweet notes she gave me daily as she told me their new skills. I will smile at the thought of her reaching out to them when I spied in on them. I will forever be grateful for her love for them and for the EXCELLENT care she gave them. Ms. Judy, we know you are in a better place, but will miss you terribly. We can't help but be sad that other children will not feel your love at Roper, but know you have a big job in heaven taking care of all of the lord's babies.

LECTURE: Please read this, avid bloggers!!! Strokes happen every day. They affect all races and all ages. I am seeing stroke victims younger and younger. Judy was 43, people!!! I have another friend, who had a stroke last week at the young age of 38. He was healthy (and not overweight), good looking, a dentist and a "yuppie white guy" Friends, please monitor your blood pressure! If your doctor prescribes, medications, stay on them! If he tells you to lose weight, start eating right and exercise! Educate yourself on the signs of stroke: arm/leg weakness; slurred speech; facial drooping; bad headache; confusion. If you think you are having a stroke, call EMS! Do not wait! If you have a certain kind of stroke and get to the hospital within 3 hours, they can give you medicine that can possibly reverse the side effects. Do what you can to save your life. Memorize the signs of stroke, educate your loved ones and take care of yourself. Taylor and Turner need and want you in their lives!!!

PS- Last but not least, get a living will, medical power of attorney and get life insurance. This has been a wake up call for us as we franctically try to make sure we have everything is in place for our sons.

No comments: