Tuesday, January 20, 2009

After School Fun...

This is the boy's first week at their new school. We had a somewhat rocky start, but things are getting better by the day. Ben and I , together, dropped them off on Monday morning at Roper Learning Center. It was voted " Best Day Care" last year by our local "City Paper", is owned and managed by my hospital system and is located just down the street from where I work. Now, those are three huge pluses! All of my work friends whose children attend are in love with it. Our first day, the bottles were not given every three hours and the attitude by one of the teachers was apparent. I showed up after work and both boys had apparently cried all day, as they had red eyes and big bags under their eyes from being too fussy for sleep. Poor Taylor had been labeled as the "fussy one" and was sitting in a bouncy seat in his crib, boo-hooing his eyes out. It just broke my heart. I left in tears, but was re-assured after they saw me, they both smiled. Good, they are not too mad at me.

Yesterday (Tuesday), I decided to go early and give their first bottle there so I could acquaint them better to their new environment. Turner took well to the swing and seemed to enjoy watching a younger baby cry his head out, as the batteries had died in his infant swing. Turner then got the "free show" of having the battery changed. I think we have an engineer or surgeon on our hands. He was inspecting the lady who changed the battery like he was going to be tested on it. Taylor, sat happily on my lap, enjoying his bottle, ignoring everyone but his bottle and I. When I left, there were no tears as their new "friends" were appearing. No attitude by Ms. Irene either.....she seems sweet. Thank goodness, a sweet, helpful and understanding teacher!

When I picked them up on Tuesday, Taylor was back in a bouncy seat in a crib, but content, as he had just been fed. Turner was screaming his "i am mad and I won't stop yelling" cry. It is really a temper, not a cry. The minute he saw me, he stopped screaming and smiled. We went over to Taylor, who saw us and smiled big. My heart just melted!! We packed the boys up in their great new coats (thanks to Boo...), put them in the mini bus to get to the car and we made our way home.

Today was much better. The staff all were pleasant and they seeemed to know the boys better. I had two friends whose children are in the 10 person class. I asked them to spy on the boys during their drop offs, which are later than mine. they both reported that both boys were happy during both visits. Whew--big relief! At the afternoon pick up, I deliberately went by early because I knew that they would not be expecting me. Taylor was happy in the swing and Turner was playing with a group of older kids...he was in the exercisor, having a ball. He was laughing, cooing and moving all around! They even made a special place at the center for me to keep their two car seats and mini bus, so i don't have to drag it in and out of the car twice a day. Thank you, thank you--they are getting brownie points to make up for day one and two!!



Lessons learned:



1. We will all survive and be stronger because of it....Taylor will learn that he can't have an assistant for free and Turner will learn to self-soothe. Hopefully, those things will happen before Friday when they're back with us fulltime for the weekend.

2. We all have bad days--the lady who had an attitude was much more pleasant as if she knew I had been badmouthing her to Ben, my best friend and Boo/Gan.

3. Every day will be better as they become adjusted to their new school. And every day will be easier on mommy as she gets adjusted to the schedule. Thank you daddy for helping get us ready before you leave for school!!!

4. Who am I kidding--they cry at home too, so why are they not allowed to be fussy at school? Why else would I be returning to work?

5. Our morning, evening and weekend time with them is more special because we get to have the fun times!

And the best part, is our afternoon playtime!! Here are some photos from it:



Taylor is all bundled up for a walk in the mini bus.


Turner is content in his blanket dress for the mini bus neighbood stroll.



Turner and Taylor playing on their mat. See how Turner's face is filling out. Good boy on drinking mommy's milk!!




Tummy time...Taylor and Turner looking up at their toys. Look at that fabulous head control.




Guinness, waiting patiently for an invitation to enter the boy's cave. Yep, he never received it, but I feel certain he has snuck his way in when we're at work/school.






1 comment:

Jessi said...

Liz, they are getting more adorable as they get older. I really feel that they might be some of the cutest babies I've ever seen. For real.

I'm in love.

XO,
Jessi