Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First Day Back to Work & Mrs. Lizzie's

I still can't believe it is this time...Time for Mommy to return to work! The boys will be 4 months old on Thursday and I feel blessed that i have been able to stay home with them for this long. But the time has come for all parties to resume some normal living!

How I felt? I had very mixed feelings about returning to work, although I knew all along that was "our plan". Part of me was sad to leave the boys behind, but the other part of me was ready to return to the challenges in my everyday life as a career woman. I do love my patients and my co-workers dearly. I feel confident that I am good at my job and I enjoy it, so why not continue!! Who says moms can't work and raise "good" kids?? Look how excellent I turned out thanks to having two working parents. I credit my daycare experiences to my social, independent, and go-get-em attitude!
Ben and I did everything to prepare for the first day and am proud that it was a great day for all of us. I cried the whole way to the hospital, but was glad to see everybody once I arrived. I was greeted with other working moms who remember " that dreaded day". I felt the love!! Thank you everybody!!!

How did the boys do? The boys are social creatures like their mommy. They did fabulous! Luckily, we have taken them so many places and around so many people, they are not shy. They woke up in good spirits, cooperated with the rush of getting dressed, playing and having an early bottle.
Oh, who is caring for the little ones, you are wondering? Mrs. Lizzie, the wife of the PE teacher at Ben's school is taking care of them in her home for the first two weeks. (They start at Roper Learning Center... owned, managed and on campus at my hospital in two weeks. Great, great place!! Voted #1 Day Care in Charleston last year. ) Mrs. Lizzie also has a one year old of another teacher, so I am sure is busy, busy! She is a "Boo" and came highly recommended. When we arrived, she had little stations set up in her den for the boys and was waiting patiently for our 6:30 am arrival. I wanted to drop them off extra early so we could get to know each other before I drove away. She was so kind to comfort me as I weeped and held tightly to Taylor...Turner slept through the visit and I am certain woke up, looked around, and dealt with the new surroundings with no problem. He is Mr. Indepedent! I was glad that Taylor could see us all together because he is quite the momma's boy!! I left in tears, but had Mrs. Lizzie and Taylor waving (thanks to a helping hand), watching my departure through the front glass door. I am proud to report that I did not call once, but was comforted by my pager going off all day and not once, was it Mrs. Lizzie!!

No, it's not your eyes, but my camera...sorry for the blurry picture. I could not figure out how to delete it. Here is Guinness and Jackson looking into the "Boy Cave" at the early am action! It has been up for over a week and they are still dying to get in....

Taylor is all smiles , waiting for his turn to be dressed!! That boy loves to be naked!!


Turner is hanging out in the boppy after his bottle. Yes, he is also waiting for mom to stop taking photos and get the boys dressed. As I told Ben at 6 am... " But i need photos for the BLOG".


Daddy and Taylor sharing the love with Guinness looking on...whew, he is dressed! One down, one to go!!


This was what happened after the first day....We napped!! Taylor and I napped on one couch and daddy and Turner napped on another. I think the early 4am feeding and am playtime was too early for all of us. Then we awoke to many bottles to wash and sterilize, lunches to pack, laundry to do, baths to give, stories to read, BLOGS to write in, and boys to love on!!

Cheers to a great rest of the week!! Keep those prayers coming...they must work!!





4 comments:

Terri Wall said...

Liz,
I am so glad that things went well. I have been thinking of you. Keep your chin up and it will not take too long to get back into the swing of things and get into a routine. if you need anything at all, please do not hesitate to call me.

Love ya' girl,
TTW

Jessi said...

You are such an incredible woman. Seriously. And an incredible Momma. Those boys and that hubbie are so lucky! We are also lucky to have you in all of our lives!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love you girl!!!

Jessi

Unknown said...

It will be hard at first and you will always have hard days (even after 2 1/2 years of doing this!), but I promise your boys will be more than fine!!!! Call if you ever need any reinforcements. And I am VERY jealous of Roper! Lets get together soon....

Courtney said...

Way to go, Liz! I'm so glad the first day went well, and I will be thinking of you as you make this big transition. Sounds like the boys are doing great!