Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Birthday visit with Nanny Dove

You don't turn 91 every year, so the Slades made the trip to see Nanny Dove for her birthday. We thought it would be a fun surprise for her and indeeed, it was! The boys napped in the car both ways--thanks, boys! The rest of the time, we sang songs, snacked on cookies and yogurt melts, tried on these hats I found in the back seat and played peek-a-boo. Does Turner not look like a limo driver?
Taylor laughed at mommy's jokes as Turner took the picture.

After walking all around Nanny's house, Taylor takes a rest in Nanny's old kids chair. Thankfully, my Aunt Amma and Aunt Martha were there to help chase them so Ben and I could catch up with Nanny !


The whole gang...On a sappy note, I feel so blessed to still have Nanny in our life. She is the sunshine that lights up the sky. She still lives in the house that she was born in, drives around the small town of Winnsboro,SC, remembers everyone's birthday, anniversary and still writes thank you letters for a thank you letter that you sent her. She is truly a southern lady. She was an A D Pi at Queens College, taught school in her younger years, gave birth to 4 kids (including my dad) and loves life!
I have so many memories of spending my summers with her to attend Vacation Bible School at her church, riding in the car with she and Tis to the beach and sitting on her front porch waiting for the train to go by. I still am blessed with a Christmas Day feast at her house every year...she does the cooking, letting no one in her kitchen except me to deliver her pound cakes!
We love you, Nanny! Here's to many more years of happiness, continued excellent health and laughter!!
Aunt Martha gives Turner a ride!




No comments: